...all things pertaining to the warmth and coziness of home

Wednesday 5 November 2014

Great is Thy Faithfulness


This week on Talk on Tuesday, I shared the story behind the wonderful hymn,
Great is Thy Faithfulness.
 
It comes from Lamentations 3:21-23
This I recall to my mind,
Therefore I have hope.
22 Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed,
Because His compassions fail not.
23 They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.
 
It's a powerful song about seeing the faithfulness of God in creation,
in our salvation, and in His Word.
 
The man that wrote the words to this song wanted to be in ministry but became ill.
He spent some time recuperating and then began a career of selling insurance.
In spite of his set backs, he acknowledged "the unfailing faithfulness of a covenant-keeping God"
Thomas Obediah Chisholm (1866-1960) wrote more than 1200 poems, 800 of which were published.
 
He sent a number of his poems to Rev. William H. Runyan,
 a musician with the Moody Bible Institute.
 He said of the hymn, "This particular poem held such an appeal that I prayed earnestly that my tune might carry over its message in a worthy way, and the subsequent history of its use indicates that God answered prayer."
George Beverly Shea introduced this hymn at an evangelistic meeting in Great Britain in 1954
 and it immediately became a favourite.
 
 
This is compliments of Little Birdie Blessings.
 

I am so grateful for the faithfulness of God.
 
He is unwavering in His love for us!
 
To listen to this hymn, click on the video below.
 
 
 
Blessings,
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



No comments :

Post a Comment

I so appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. I am blessed by each one. Diane