...all things pertaining to the warmth and coziness of home

Wednesday 5 February 2014

Being Neighbourly and Sweet and Sour Meatloaf

We got more snow today.
A lot more snow!
I left for work but turned around.
Had a SNOW DAY!
 
 I saw the neighbour lady shovelling her driveway so I went out to help her.
We've lived here almost 10 years.
When we first moved here we talked quite a bit.
Then a couple of years in there was an "incident".
 It was not my son's fault but he got the brunt of it.
 A couple of years later, she needed help with something and asked Doug if he would assist.
 Of course he went and helped.
Bit by bit she would wave when waved to first.
 
I knew she had a few health issues so got my winter paraphernalia on and helped her shovel.
She told me she was wearing a heart monitor and was supposed to return it today.
 I advised her to bring it back another day and to go back in the house and I would finish for her.
She asked me what my name was, introduced herself, and gave me a hug.
That was the highlight of my day.
Later two guys came with their snow blower and cleaned out her lane and walkway!!!!
 
When I was considering if I should go out and help, God reminded me of the verse by John Wesley
An hour after I came in from shovelling, a car was spinning its tires for 10-15 minutes.
I called my son to get dressed cause we were going out to help.
After some shovelling, again, putting some salt around the front tires, and a third person coming to help we got the poor guy out.
"Do all the good you can!"
 
All that shovelling creates a hearty appetite!
And a hearty appetite calls for meatloaf and mashed potatoes!
The church that I belonged to before I got married had put a cookbook together.
In it was a recipe for Sweet and Sour Meatloaf from our Pastor's wife.
It is one of our favourites!
 
Here is the recipe along with the pictures.
 
Mix 1 & 1/2 lbs. of hamburger
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
I add a couple of teaspoons of Montreal Steak Spice and some Italian seasoning
1/2 tin of Tomato Soup
 
Form into shape and put in corning ware dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60  minutes
A few minutes before the meatloaf is ready, prepare the sauce.
1/2 tin of Tomato soup (the other half)
2 Tablespoons of brown sugar
1/2 cup of white sugar
2 Tablespoons of vinegar
2 teaspoons of dry mustard
Mix together in a small saucepan and bring to a boil while stirring.
Pour over the meatloaf and cook for another 10 minutes.
It turns out so moist. You might need a spoon after you slice it to scoop it up as well as some of the sauce.
It is so good with mashed potatoes and a vegetable.
Definitely a delicious and hearty meal after a good workout of snow shovelling!
 
If you're surrounded by that cold white stuff drive carefully and remember, Spring is around the corner!
Looks just like a blanket doesn't it?
 
Blessings, Diane

Sharing this post at:

Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop with Katharines Corner, Over 50 Feeling 40, Vintage Mama
Home andGarden Thursday  at A Delightsome Life
Fabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer Rizzo
Grace at Home at Imparting Grace
Be Inspired at Common Ground

2 comments :

  1. The meat looks so tender and juicy!

    Coming from Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop! Come-by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious, the perfect meal for a snowy day. I am so happy you went to help her with the snow. God bless. Thank you for helping to make the Thursday Favorite Things Blog hop so much fun. Big Hugs ♥

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. I am blessed by each one. Diane