...all things pertaining to the warmth and coziness of home

Monday 9 December 2013

25 Days of Christmas Day 9

Cranberry Streusel Coffee Cake
 
Nothing shouts holiday time like cranberries.
Brilliant red, tangy, and very good for you.
 For some people their holiday meal is not complete with cranberry sauce. We didn't grow up with this dish in our home. My parents are Dutch and this is very American.
But I did discover a most delicious coffee cake recipe last year that I am going to share with you.
I made it for the very first time and brought it into work.
It got rave reviews. Whew!! (My husband cannot understand how I can make something new when we have company over. I tell him it gives me some incentive to finally try something new!)
Streusel:
3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
Mix together until crumbly (I use two knives)
Cake:
 
1/2 cup soft butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dairy sour cream
2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen) (I used fresh)
 
Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then vanilla.
Stir in the sour cream and then the flour mixture.
 
Spread half the batter in a greased and floured 10-inch springform pan. (It will be a bit thin and take a bit of time to spread it but it can be done!)
Sprinkle with half the streusel mixture,
and half of the cranberries.
Spread the remaining batter. To be honest, this part requires some patience because there is not much batter to work with and you have to carefully spread it around to fit the pan. I used a knife and a spatula and worked it bit by bit. The same goes for the first layer.
Now this time the cranberries go on first,
then the remaining streusel.
 
Bake at 350 degrees for about one hour or until skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.
Cool, then remove pan. Can bake in a 13 x 9 inch cake pan; instead of layering the mixtures, simple spread batter in pan, then sprinkle cranberries and streusel evenly over top. Bake about 45 minutes.
Serve warm. Makes about 12 servings.
Note: to reheat coffee cake, wrap in foil and heat about 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Can you smell the cinnamon?!! Mmmmm...I can!
It really is very delicious! Great to bring to a potluck or give to a neighbour.
See, I cut you a piece to try!
Something warm and yummy for a very cold day.
 
Blessings, Diane
 
 Linked to The Dedicated House
        Pieced Pastimes
               Funky Junk Interiors

No comments :

Post a Comment

I so appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. I am blessed by each one. Diane