...all things pertaining to the warmth and coziness of home

Friday 8 February 2013

Kitchen Table Centrepiece

I hope you are staying warm and cozy inside while the snow is blowing outside. We are definitely getting our winter season this year! Being inside gives me opportunity to create. Recently I put together a centrepiece for my kitchen table. Bit by bit it came together. I like that part. I'll start by showing you the centerpiece and then explain how it got put together.
 
 
 I came across a tutorial to paint plastic fruit black and cover with cinnamon. So off to the thrift store I went and there was lots to find. I didn't take any pictures of the plastic fruit but you know what they look like! I just used regular black paint that you find in the craft store. Make sure you have a plastic table cloth to work on because it gets messy! Once you've painted the fruit it helps to rest it on something that will best prevent the paint from peeling off once it's dry.  One suggestion was to rest the painted fruit on an ice cube tray (I had some old ones laying around or you may come up with a more clever idea!)
 
 
When the fruit is dry (don't worry about the couple of spots that have the paint smudged off because the cinnamon will help to cover them), apply a coat of modge podge (you'll get nice and sticky!).
I sprinkled the cinnamon on and used a foam brush to help spread it around. You could use a container that you would put powdered icing sugar in. (Don't know why I think of that when I was doing this!) Again you'll be using the ice cube trays to let the cinnamon covered fruit dry.


They smell oh so good!!
 

 
When the fruit was done, I put a doilie in the wooden crate and put the fruit in. On either side I put a candle stick that I had painted in a linen colour. The tablecloth was a single curtain panel that I was going to make pillows out of but then got the good idea to use it as a table cloth. I also found a burlap type runner and put that on top. You don't have to spend a lot of money to make something for your home. I didn't have this in mind when I painted the candlestcks or the fruit, but that is the fun part of creating. It always has a way of coming together.
Aren't you glad that God knew what His plan for you was when He created you?!! There is such a comfort in knowing that. Be the person that God made you to be and that is how you show the glory of God to others!
Blessings, Diane

2 comments :

  1. This is a great idea! Would be really nice for fall and Christmas. I'm always thinking ahead!
    Hugs,
    Dru

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dru! I can't take credit for the idea though. I found it from two different blogs. The one was I remember is the Old Pioneer Homestead. I wanted to include a link to the tutorial but I couldn't find it. I'm going to try some with white paint sometime. Blessings, Diane

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. I am blessed by each one. Diane